Friday, December 19, 2008

The Ascendancy of Light and Life

The Winter Solstice is this weekend. The longest night of the year. Time for the rebirth of the Sun King when the daylight hours start to grow again, eventually bringing Summer back to us. It is ironic, then, that today it was nearly 70 degrees here and come Monday, after the Solstice, it will be down in the low 30's again. Strange are the ways of Mother Earth and Father Sky. I've come to expect no less.

Of course, Yule isn't the only holiday occurring in the next week or so. Many faiths celebrate this time of year. Our children are out of school now for their Winter break and will be spending both Yule and Christmas with their other parents. We have to take Megan to Knoxville, TN tomorrow to drop her off with her mother. I'm both sad, because I'll miss her terribly, and kind of looking forward to some adult time. The step-kids will be with their father, but Carmen is old enough to drive them over there this time. I find that I'll miss them, too. I have grown rather fond of the little terrors (who admittedly aren't so little anymore). Ysabel and I will be visiting with friends over the next week, I'm sure, starting with two of our rapier students and some others in Knoxville tomorrow, so we won't be too lonely. Still, I can't help but think about some of the people I used to know that I've lost touch with. I'm terrible at long distance communication. Maybe I just need to get on MySpace or Facebook and see if I can look up some old friends. Seems like the right time of year for it.

We'll also be stopping by and seeing my sister and brother-in-law on the way back home tomorrow. She tells me that she has aquired some relics of our past. Things that used to belong to our grandparents. Things I will recognize from my childhood. I will admit that I am bracing for some painful memories to surface. There is a reason I don't dwell too much on my past. But sometimes pain is necessary for healing, like the pain of getting a shot to cure a lingering sickness. Maybe now is the time to face such things and move past them. Or perhaps nothing will come of it at all. Either way, the acsendancy of light and life will prevail over the dark season and the dark season will wait its turn to come again. The cycle will continue despite the feelings and notions of mere mortals. I take some comfort in that right now.

Joyous Solstice to everyone! Whatever holiday you celebrate, may it be filled warmth, friendship and all that is good in life.

2 comments:

Hawk said...

I hope you have a Merry Christmas this year. The adult time is great, but I always find myself missing the children. They may be a pain, but they REALLY enjoy Christmas. Not like us Grinches.

Oh, Monica is turning some age this next weekend. If you want to come down Saturday and eat ice cream cake, drink your beverage of choice, watch Hellboy II and maybe play some Magic, you know where to find us.

(oh, I haven't mentioned the party to Mo, so don't you be doing it either.)

Corbin said...

The adult time would have been better if I'd been off all week and didn't have an annoying sinus infection thing kicking my butt. Such is life, I suppose.

I hope Monica doesn't read my blog, 'cause if she does you just spilled the beans, so to speak. Unfortunately, we have to pick Megan up in Knoxville on Friday, which makes Saturday our Xmas with the kids. Sometimes the logistical aspect of child visitation really sucks.

At any rate, hope you all have a great Christmas, too, and Happy Birthday to Monica!