Wednesday, October 17, 2007

My First Blog Entry

Ok, so I've started a blog. I admit to feeling a bit left out of the current "look-at-me" culture. I hope to strike a comfortable middle ground between paranoid desert hermit and narcissitic attention whore. We'll see how that goes.

So, if you are still reading, I will assume some level of interest in yours truly. Let me illuminate the shadows of mystery for you, at least a tiny bit. I am called by several names (some not so flattering). To most, I am Corbin, which has its roots in the French "corbeau" and the Latin "corvus". It means "crow" or "raven". This is not an accident, as I have a great deal of love for those particular birds, both in an aesthetic sense and as powerful mythological symbols. Perhaps I will expand on their significance in a future post. I am heavily involved in the SCA, a large historical reenactment group. Within the Society, I have attained the rank of Lord as well as being a member of the highest level rapier fighting Order in my Kingdom. I am married to a wonderful woman who is a Lady and also a member of the same rapier Order (She's good, folks. Really good.). We have three children who keep us busy with school and an assortment of extra-curricular interests. Needless to say, our free time is not an abundant resource. My job is a means to an end and not particularly exciting, so I'll simply say I work on the Internet and leave it at that. I have a love of fantasy and science fiction, in pretty much any medium, but especially in written form. I've played role-playing games (mostly Dungeons and Dragons) since I was 10 years old. Yes, I'm a nerd, or geek, or whatever the current in vogue term is. But I'm also a father, a husband, a worker, a martial artist, a tax payer, a voter, a home owner, etc. In short, just another sentient carbon-based life form trying to make it in an unforgiving world, just like you. And since this is rapidly edging into "attention whore" territory, I think that is enough for now.

Adieu, mes amis.

2 comments:

Joel said...

Something wrong with attention whores, my lord? Them's fighting words. ;)

Corbin said...

Not at all, mon ami. Just goes against my secretive nature, is all.