Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Sleeping Arrangements

We recently decided that, with Gulf Wars looming on the near horizon, we were tired of sleeping on uncomfortable (and seperate) cots while camping. So, we looked around for plans for a DIY camp bed. Having found a design that seemed simple enough for us to put together without a woodshop and major carpentry skills, we headed out to Home Depot to get the lumber. We fully expected to have to cut the boards to length ourselves with a hand saw, a process that I was not particularly looking forward to. Luckily, once we had picked out suitable pieces of former green growing things, we realized that the Home Depot people could cut them all for us in a matter of just a few minutes. I was overjoyed at the amount of strenuous labor that this saved us. We ordered the fastener hardware Monday and are hoping to have the whole thing sanded, varnished and ready to go on Saturday. It will be a huge improvement to our Gulf Wars experience. Who knows, maybe sleeping on a real bed will even keep me from feeling like I was beaten with a blunt object every morning when I wake up. Wouldn't that be something?

1 comment:

Hawk said...

Oh absolutely. A bed is the joy of camping. I just bought a covered trailer so that I can build a 4-poster bed this summer. I still have a decent bed for Gulf Wars. We will stay warm, 2 feet off the ground, and comfortable.

Good luck on bed improvements. It is tricky sometimes, but worth the work.