Monday, March 2, 2009

Meatless Monday

I haven't eaten anything remotely resembling meat so far today. Not out of any moral objection to eating the flesh of tasty animals, but because I was in a hurry and forgot to pick up a lunch at the store this morning. Rather than going out to get fast food (which I am trying really hard to avoid), I just decided to eat more of the stuff I bought for breakfast and snacks. Breakfast consisted of a granola bar (with 5 grams of soy protein) and a cup of peach chunks. Lunch was another protein bar, a different granola bar left over from last week (mmmmm... fiber) and a handful of dried apricots. Unfortunately, my metabolism is that of a carnivore, so I'm feeling really weird right now. Too many complex sugars, not enough protein to soak up the resulting insulin rush. Reality is warping in unpleasant ways.

Sorry, PETA, but ingesting your furry little buddies is a necessity to my continued well-being. Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't take their sacrifice for granted. I'm very grateful to them for giving up their earthly forms that I may live. That said, Meatless Monday is not destined to become a lasting tradition. In fact, I doubt I'll make it all the way though the day without feasting on one of your cute, cuddly barnyard pals. You know what they say, "Meat is murder. Yummy, yummy murder...".

2 comments:

Hawk said...

Yeah, Monica is just the same. Meat is the fuel which keeps her going. She lost a huge amount of weight on a pure-veggie diet. AND hated it so much she won't consider it again. On the other hand, a few strips of lunch meat will handle me. I am a proud carboholic. Give me noodles, rice, or possibly pasta. The more the merrier.

Tonight I have to get back to the gym. I plan on 3 miles of running and walking with a long upper body workout, some leg presses, and then some relaxation in the sauna. I have been trying to hold a Sunday practice for 3 weeks, hasn't been above 50 degrees on a Sunday.

Corbin said...

We've been slack about working out lately, unfortunately. Daily sword practice just isn't practical with everything we have going on during the week. We haven't been doing many Sunday practices either. This weather is just stupid. We have been pretty regular about going to Rising Stone's indoor location on Tuedays, but most of that is teaching. I'm going to get the crap beat out of me at Gulf Wars. :(