Monday, February 2, 2009

Midwinter A&S

Midwinter A&S was a lot of fun. We got there around 10am Saturday, helped Cillian and Serona with their Historical Combat A&S entry, grabbed some quick lunch, then fought through the afternoon. Later, Her Majesty graciously allowed Ysabel and I to be part of her entourage at Court, as her Rapier Champions. We skipped out after Court, even though we probably could have stayed for Feast. By then, we were tired and sore and just wanted to go back to Ysabel's parents' place and crash. It's nice to have family in the Atlanta area for when we have events down there. It gives us a place to stay that's reasonably comfortable and gives her parents a chance to hang out with their grandkids more than they would have otherwise.

It was nice to get to fight, but I haven't done that much combat in a few months and I'm feeling it this morning. I fought Jean-Michel for the Iron Ring of Meridies (ie. The Precious). He made the challenge and we agreed to fight Cut and Thrust, rather than standard rapier. Best two out of three bouts, out of which he won two. I think if I had not been borrowing armor that made moving a bit awkward, I would have done better. The rest of the fighting I did was mostly teaching newer fighters standard rapier. I wasn't going all out against them most of the time, but it was enough for me to feel the burn. We have some work to do if we want to be in shape for Gulf Wars.

No comments: