Tuesday, April 29, 2008

An Axe to Grind

This past Saturday saw us travelling to Cullman, AL for an SCA event called Black Axe. Despite the threat of heavy storms in the afternoon, we saw very little rain. The fighting was... interesting. I was feeling exhausted and lethargic the entire morning and wasn't really in the mood to fight. Strangely, my apathy didn't seem to work against me and I went undefeated through several rounds of best two out of three matches. All the way to the finals, in fact. Of course, when it came to the final bout, my exhausted apathy turned into exhausted jitters and I lost. Don't get me wrong, Feodor (also undefeated) is a damned tough fight, but if I had been more focused and/or more relaxed, I would have performed much better, I think. As it was, I not only lost, but I lost spectacularly, gaining a nice deep bruise on my right bicep for my trouble. Still, I got some pretty impressive kills up to that point, so I probably shouldn't complain too much.

Later in the day, at Their Majesties Court, we were happy to witness the induction of our newest member of the Merdian Order of the Blade, THL Stefan d'Gascon. Congratulations, Stefan! Following that, we left the event and headed for home, stopping with some of our Household for dinner at the local Cracker Barrel. Ok, so the decor isn't exactly cosmopolitan, but I have to admit I really like their cornbread (with butter and honey!) and their hashbrown casserole. Once sufficiently stuffed, we made the long trek home and collapsed. It feels great to fall into a warm bed after a day like that. Waking up to the aches and bruises, though... not so much.

No comments: