Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The Business of War

Gulf Wars, a major SCA event, is just around the corner. Our preparations have eaten up a lot of our time over the past couple weeks. As the General for the Rapier Militia of Meridies, I have a lot of responsibilities, but even without that, it takes a lot of prep to go to War. We will be camping for five days in Southern Mississippi with several thousand other people. There will be more fighting than you can shake a sword at. Getting all our gear ready for this endeavor has been our primary focus lately.

Aside from that, we've also taken the fairly major step of creating our own Rapier Company. The Company of the Ravens of the Sun, it is called. Ysabel and I are Co-Captains and we've each taken students to begin filling in the ranks of the Company. She chose Rhys Faber, of our home Shire and I chose Jack Marvell, of Thor's Mountain. Both show great promise as fighters and I know they will be assets to the Company. We are allied with La Compania de Halcon and together we form a larger force called simply La Gran Compania. Our blades shall rain terror down upon the enemies of Meridies! And then we'll go back to camp and have a beer (or a nice cup of mead, I never really liked beer).

4 comments:

Hawk said...

Dang Straight! Or something like that.

I have a 9 day camp-out. wow. 9 days in Mississippi mud.

I am bringing D&D "Lords of Madness" in case it all goes to hell in a handbasket weather wise. Sorry Spencer's campaign was lame. I don't mind dying, but ... boring kills me. Besides, this is the 3rd time he has killed me, starting to wear a bit thin.

Lords of Madness for a stormy night...I expect it should help everyone sleep...

Corbin said...

DnD at an SCA event? The geek factor would be off the scale! Phil mentioned he was bringing Magic decks, too, just in case, so I'll probably have a few with me.

Lords of Madness sounds awesome! Let us know what levels to plan for and we're definitely in. Provided we aren't all too damn busy being in charge of the stabbity stuff.

Hawk said...

Yeah, I am thinkin' high level. (10th ish) Just to let people have character fun. Of course, it just makes it all the more appealing when a 12th sorcerer mind flayer (20 total levels) is eating your brain.

Gulf Wars can have beautiful days...and less beautiful days. There may be significant sections of the war in which we observe rain, instead of stabbity stuff.

Joel said...

Honored to be involved, m'lord. Now, who do you want me to kill first?