Thursday, January 10, 2008

The Day of Chaos

I am exhausted. Chaos has a way of doing that to a person. Today has been devoted almost entirely to discord, anarchy and upheaval of all sorts. It started the minute I got out of bed. The older two children were in a panic because the school bus never arrived to pick them up. I'm assuming it broke down. I was cranky, they were cranky, everyone was cranky, but I got them to school on time. Unfortunately, this little adventure threw my morning routine in the toilet and I was late to work. Of course, today was the day that everything hit the fan there as well. Broken applications, moronic customers and stressed out co-workers abounded. Then the weather turned ugly. Strong storms came raging through in the afternoon, knocking out the power in some parts of town and causing a spike in the power at our building. In the process of protecting our servers, we managed to melt (yes, melt) a circuit breaker box outside. Time to call an electrician. They were still working on it when I left for our Shire meeting (that's part of my SCA involvement, just so you know). The meeting was long and involved a lot of back and forth on several issues, but at least there was food. There are advantages to meeting at a Shoney's. And to top it all off, I have developed a toothache from Hell. I haven't had a toothache in ages. WTF? The best thing I can say about today is that it's nearly over. Eris, the Goddess of Discord, can freakin' move along now. She's more than worn out her welcome. She and Loki can go visit some other deserving schmuck and leave us alone for a change. Let the tempest abate, the turbulent waters calm and my spinning thoughts descend into blessed, dreamless sleep. I'm done. Finished. Taken all I care to take. Good-bye Jan. 10th, 2008 and good riddance.

2 comments:

Hawk said...

Hey Corbin, did you ever read the "religious text" of Eris. I used to keep a copy.
1) Bad things come in 5s.. 3 big ones and two little...which are often ignored by the uninitiated.
2) In time of distress, one must retreat to home and eat a hotdog, for that is the example of Eris. (After being shunned by the more popular goddesses)
3) Finally, and most important, Always remember "King Kong Died for Your Sins."

Corbin said...

I've skimmed some Discordian writings, yes. Truly bizarre those Eris worshipers. I suppose it could be worse, though. They could be Gozer worshipers. The last thing I need is to have Zuul move into my icebox. ;)