Tuesday, January 15, 2008

And Now For Some Bad News

My sister called me this morning on the way to work. It was kind of eerie, actually, because as cold as it was, I was wearing a hat, which precludes me from wearing my cell phone ear piece. Anyway, the car had just warmed up enough for me to shuck the hat and even though nobody ever calls me that early in the morning, I felt like I needed to put my ear piece in. Not a minute after I did so, it rings. Spooky.

Oh, that's right, you wanted to hear the bad news. Well, it turns out that she was on her way to the airport in Nashville because my brother-in-law, who is a truck driver, was at a stop in New York City, when he was struck by a car. Not his truck. Him. He was directing traffic while his partner backed the truck up into a difficult loading dock when some idiot came flying out of nowhere and hit him. Apparently, there were no internal injuries and no head trauma, but his leg is broken in three places below the knee. He's in the hospital up there awaiting surgery. Not exactly the best way to start your day, ya know. And my sister has to drop everything to go up there. She's in college, so missing that much time is highly detrimental. Hopefully the damned fool that hit him had insurance, because he's going to get the crap sued out of him. Bet on it.

3 comments:

Hawk said...

Hope he (and your sis) are ok. Mo works with Truck Drivers all day, I always worry that they are going to roll over the speedbump (guard) shack.

I guess the biggest physical danger in the US is cars (and in many cases trucks), and the idiots we let drive them. I guess truck drivers actually go to school before they start driving.

Corbin said...

Well, his life isn't in danger at this point, but he won't be doing much of anything for awhile besides sitting and maybe playing World of Warcraft (which breaks his heart, I'm sure). Most truckers are fairly competent, despite how much I complain about them during my daily commute, but there is a minority out there that scare the hell out of me. I'm sure there are more car drivers than semi drivers that we should worry about though. What happened to my brother-in-law is a case in point.

Joel said...

My best wishes to him!