Monday, December 10, 2007

Post-practice Depression

We had quite a lot of people show up for the Regional Rapier Practice at our place yesterday. After two weeks of planning, cleaning house, and worry over the weather it turned out pretty good. Yes, it rained a bit and I took some shots that I'd rather not have taken, but all in all I did better than I expected. We had some very good fighters in attendance (you know who you are), so losing a few bouts here and there is expected. Ysabel decided to put the Iron Ring of Meridies (aka The Precious) up for grabs. Since she is having trouble with her right wrist and can only fight left-handed, she decided that those of us who wanted the Ring could fight each other for it. Single sword. With our off hands. At the same time. Yes, a true last man standing free-for-all using what is likely to be everyone's worst style possible. Hell, yeah! Using my extraordinary skill and cunning, I walked away with the Precious. (Okay, so I ran away a lot, convinced people to fight each other instead of me and maybe engaged in a sneaky shot or two... but it worked, right?) Once all the fighting was over with, we retired to our downstairs for heaping plates of Ysabel's lasagna, which was devoured with much enthusiasm. There was much merriment before our stalwart visitors finally had to bid us good evening and be on their way. All in all, a good day.

Now for the bad. I hurt all over, as usual. My back is reminding me of just how strenuous my style of fighting is. There are two chronic trouble spots that hurt so bad this morning, I very nearly decided to forgo work in favor of a doctor visit. But they would have been dangerously short handed if I did, so off to work I went like a good little code monkey. Now I have a tension headache from Hell and am wishing the world would just piss off for while. Not bloody likely.

Was it worth it? Of course. Would I do it all again? Of course. Does that make me any less cranky at the moment? Not really. Still, we did learn some important lessons. Fabris, properly done, is deadly. Chess pie is freakin' yummy. The Muppet Show is just as funny now as it was when we were kids. And last, but certainly not least... never trust a Frenchman.

2 comments:

Joel said...

The chess pie is part of my cunning plan to defeat you --by giving you a sugar high and then waiting until you crash to attack you. ;)

Thanks for having us, m'lord. I enjoyed myself thoroughly and am going to be busy for some time applying everything I learned.

Corbin said...

Your evil plot won't succeed. I can resist even the considerable yumminess of the chess pie! Now if it were cheesecake, especially served with vanilla ice cream and drizzled with warm, gooey caramel, then I might be concerned...

I'm glad you had fun. I learned a thing or two, myself, actually. Applying them will take some practice, but anything to make one's self more dangerous is worth the effort.