Monday, May 12, 2008

The Courts of Chaos

Anarchy seems to be the order of the day lately. Let me explain... no, there is too much. Let me sum up.

We've been running around trying to juggle work, SCA, my step-son's baseball *and* early football practice schedules. We are trying (thus far unsuccessfully) to get the red tape cleared up for adding on to our house. Ysabel and I have both been under the weather off and on. Megan had a birthday (she's 8 now) a few days before Mother's Day. Needless to say, I'm pretty much broke at this point. We had a demo on Saturday for a martial arts dojo that ended up having 2 kids show up. They watched for a couple minutes and then went and did katas. Complete waste of time. Not anyone's fault, really, just didn't come together well. My job has been interesting, to put a good spin on it. A water heater in our office exploded last Monday. It flooded the lobby, the server room and leaked through the floor into the businesses beneath us. Chaos ensued. Looks like we may be moving to a newer building in a couple months. Got my fingers crossed. To top that off, I was on call all last week and it was freakin' nuts! I don't know about anyone else, but I tend to be cranky when I get woken up at 3am to fix someone else's screw up.

In the midst of all the bad was some good, though. We went and saw Iron Man, which rocked. I read a graphic novel (which is unusual for me) that a friend recommended called The Watchmen. It was incredibly good, I must say. Disturbing, but engrossing. I hear they are making a movie of it, too. Should be interesting. We should be getting our stimulus check from the government any day now and can finally clear up a few outstanding debts, which will be nice. So, in general, life goes on in all it's messy, itchy, glorious, unabashed splendor. It's proving to be quite a ride.

Oh, and snaps to anyone who can tell me where the title of this post came from.

4 comments:

Hawk said...

Dude, Courts of Chaos! Have to play some Amber again soon. Love that system. Sadly, Zelazny's last books were...not his best. But 9 princes in Amber, top notch.

*cough Cough* *hack Hack* I have caught the upper-respritory bug. I am dying. As my last will and testament... I want a freak'n 20'x20' grave so I can take all my stuff with me!!!

Corbin said...

Ding! Ding! Give the man a cigar! Or... um, maybe not, considering you are already trying to choke up a lung. But you are correct, of course. The Amber series by Roger Zelazny was the origin of the Courts of Chaos reference. I'd love to role-play in that system again. Nothing like a little personal enmity, betrayal, political manuevering, power mongering and self-serving amorality to brighten my day.

Oh, and you aren't allowed to die yet. You need to get a 2/3rds majority MoB vote and approval from the Crown before you can shed the wet, itchy skin of life. Sorry.

Joel said...

My gaming group ended up playing Amber cooperatively, which was pretty strange considering the amount of time we normally spent killing each other's characters in D&D.

Rorschach is scary.

Corbin said...

I always cooperate when I role-play. Of course, who I cooperate with and why can change pretty quickly depending on where the personal advantage lies.

Oddly, I found Rorschach to be the most sympathetic character in the Watchmen. Sure, he was a raving, homicidal psychopath and quite possibly one of the most dangerous human beings on the planet, but out of all the "heroes" he never once compromised his principles.