Monday, January 5, 2009

2008: the Aftermath

Well, the holidays are over. Much has happened over the past couple weeks. Yule, Christmas, New Years, Megan visiting her mother in NC, us visiting with my sister and assorted friends, we all got some cool swag, my job moved offices, I came down with a minor bronchial infection. It's been a bit of a whirlwind to close out 2008 and usher in a brand spankin' new calendar year.

One of the highlights was finally getting a bookshelf for my paperbacks that have been languishing in the garage for the past three years. I am most happy for them to be on proper display again. I'm rather proud of my collection, although it has diminished in size a bit over the years due to moving and other hardships.

Some of the other nice things we picked up include a new camera, a much nicer computer chair and a book of poetry that used to belong to my deceased grandfather (thanks, Mom!). We also got some less grandiose items, like new clothes, some dvds, Wii games, etc. Materially speaking, a pretty good haul.

In other news, we went to Huntsville for Monica's birthday, which was fun. We also had a good time in Knoxville meeting a couple of our rapier students and some of the other rapier people for lunch when we dropped Megan off with her mother. Good times all around.

Unfortunately, the holidays put a serious damper on our rapier practices. I think I've gained five pounds from sitting around on my butt and eating all that yummy holiday food. I feel heavy, lethargic and bloated. Not at all like my normal, dangerous self. Something I suppose we will have to remedy with hard work and determination in the days to come. After all, Gulf Wars is coming up and I'll be damned if I am going to get the crap beat out of me just because I was too lazy to practice leading up to it.

So, that is where things are right now. Work is still chaotic, home slightly less so, but everything seems to be sorting itself out all right. We have plans in the works, both in the SCA and mundanely that I'm fairly excited about. Whatever 2009 brings, it certainly won't be boring.

No comments: