Monday, July 21, 2008

Why's the RUM gone?

RUM (aka Royal University of Meridies) was this past weekend. It is an SCA event designed for teaching new skills and such to anyone who wants to learn. My group hosted it this year and while it was a big job, we still managed to have a lot of fun. I was (of course) in charge of the rapier classes and activities. The turn out wasn't as large as I had hoped, but we did get enough to make it worthwhile. There was class on German two-handed longsword, taught by my lady wife, Ysabel, a class on DiGrassi (a period master of defence) taught by Thomas O'Toole, and a melee tactics class that I taught. After a break for lunch, we fought a few pick ups in the blazing heat and the Queen's Ring changed hands a few times. I managed to get it from Hawk (barely) then defended it successfully from Leon and Ysabel. She decided to pony up the $5 to challenge me a second time and won it. Never trust a woman in a sword fight. They are damned sneaky.

The real news came after the fighting was done and we had cleaned up for Court and feast. Our group received many accolades from the Crown at this event. Thomas O'Toole was awarded the Argent Rapier (and it's about time). Waldryk got an Argent Comet for service. Ysabel and I (for reasons we have yet to figure out) were awarded the Argent Lily. Now, this is a rare honor, from what we were told. Each Crown can only give this award out once during Their reign, so the number of persons that have it is limited. It is supposed to be given to reward "courtliness, refinement, elegance and courtesy". I can totally understand Ysabel being recognized for those qualities. I, on the other hand... well, let's just say it's a bit of a stretch. However, I will not presume to question the wisdom of the Crown. We were deeply honored to be awarded the Argent Lily and even more honored that everyone seemed to think we genuinely deserved it.

There was one other award received by a member of our Shire that outshines even the Argent Lily. Sir Griffin O'Suaird was granted an Augmentation of Arms. This is, according to what I've been told, the highest, most esteemed award any Kingdom can give. It is reserved for the best of the best, the most dedicated, the most respected, the most (pardon the vulgarity) kick ASS members of the Society. Anything more that I could say would pale in the face of Sir Griffin's accomplishments, so I'll simply say "well deserved" and move on.

Now that the event is over, we can reflect on all that has happened and look forward to what's to come. RUM was an exhausting and exhilarating experience that will not be soon forgotten, but other things are coming up that we need to get ready for. We are planning on attending Beggar's Rebellion in a few weeks and Tourney of the Foxes a couple weeks after that. Our group has been tasked with running the next Coronation in September, also. Having to organize another large, Kingdom-level event so soon after RUM will be difficult, but I have faith in our Shire and I know we can pull it off. In between our SCA obligations, I'm hoping to get a chance to go see the new Batman movie and Hellboy 2. Both look to be pretty awesome. I missed my chance to see the Hulk, which irritates me, but I'm sure I'll see it on DVD when it comes out. Might even have that 50" flat screen tv by then... ok, probably not. Also, a new expansion set for Magic the Gathering comes out on Friday and from everything I've seen, it is going to rock. I'm hoping to get some people over that night for some card flopping fun.

So, all in all, good times have come and gone and will come again. Despite all the badness, life does seem to have its upside.

Speaking of the good life, I am still working on getting some pics up from our beach trip a couple weeks ago. So, I'm a slacker, but apparently I'm a courtly, refined, elegant and courteous slacker. So there! :op

1 comment:

Hawk said...

It was a good RUM. You guys winning the Lily was fantastic.
Seriously, you guys put other people first, you are completely service oriented and you are very courteous. Besides, you are "good people" in the way that Sir Cydrych, Sir Griffin, and Sir Caspar understand. (You work hard, joke around, don't get too serious, don't cause problems. etc.) I can't really paraphrase what HRM said, but it was moving. If he had given that speech at a teen movie there would have been a lot of cheering and a beer-spray scene. I felt like popping one!

Oh, Hellboy II is a good movie. Not up to H I, but nothing ever will be again. How many times can you say " You should be running now." ? Well, a few more times at least - H III next year?