Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Major Achievement

I woke up this morning and got out of bed. This, I feel, was a pretty significant achievement. Life seems to disagree, however. After the monumental effort of attaining verticality comes the Herculean task of taking a shower, getting dressed, eating breakfast and driving to work. You would think that that would be enough. That having gone to the trouble of actually going out into the world with clothes on and everything, I'd be spared any further obligation. Not so. Not only does my job actually expect me to produce something of tangible value while I'm here, but I also have committed to helping with a sword demo for my wife's school during my lunch hour today. Will the demands on me never end? Apparently not, because once I get off work I have people coming over to our house for a DnD game. The mental and physical energy required to get through my day is enormous. It would crush a mere mortal like a grape under the eco-unfriendly tires of a Hummer. But like the stoic Atlas, standing strong with the weight of the world on his shoulders, I will persevere. After all, it is in those little moments of triumph over adversity that we find our true character.

2 comments:

Joel said...

I know the feeling at times.

Hawk said...

Wow...I am humbled. I think I left my pants at home and I have been hiding in my office ever since.